Monday, March 05, 2007

Vagina

I know that we've only been able to say this word out loud in recent history - which is progress of a sort - but since I discovered that the etymological origins of vagina meant "sheath" I've been niggled.

You see, this is what happens when men are allowed to develop language. We could have named our female attribute after words meaning 'life', or 'the beauty of birth', or 'passageway into the fullness of being', or 'warm, wet and wonderful guardian of the pleasure pearl of woman'.

But no. We get 'Penis-Cover'.

Thanks a lot.

What are the origins of 'penis' I wonder. Giver of life? Will look up etymology online and get back to you.

2 Comments:

Blogger sparklematrix said...

Yeah - sheath sounds so um passive.
Like 'birth canal' ffs!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

'birth canal' makes me think of a flume ride at a water park =/

Can't believe a word as great as Vagina means a word as horrible sounding as 'sheath'. I choose to believe that it means all of the suggestions that you made instead =)

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!